"We had the pleasure of Tadhgh as our tutor for our son to support him during GCSE preparation. Tadhgh was punctual, structured, personable and very knowledgeable. Jasper enjoyed his company enormously which meant he looked forward to the 1 to 1 sessions and used the time productively. By the time the exams took place he was well prepared and performed well, and this was down to the support provided by Tadhgh. I ended up recommending Tadhgh to a number of friends who were equally pleased with his support. I have no reservation in recommending him when it comes to personal tuition."
Elske, GCSE English Tuition
2017-18 – City, University of London, Law (GDL): Commendation
2011-12 – The Oxford School of Drama, Postgraduate Acting
2008-11 – St. John’s College, Cambridge University, History and then English MA (Hons)
2005-07 – Magdalen College School, Oxford, A Levels (pre-A* grades):
English A, History A, Spanish A, Biology A, History AEA Distinction.
2000-05 – Magdalen College School, Oxford, GCSEs:
English Literature A*, English Language A*, Maths A* (taken a year early), Physics A*, Chemistry A*, Biology A*, French A*, Spanish A*, History A.
My specialist subjects are English Literature and Language.
I also teach Essay Technique, Interview Technique and Entrance Exams (11+/13+ Non/Verbal).
I have 6+ years of experience as a tutor and education consultant. I have taught around the world, from weekly tuition to full time home schooling. I enjoy working with students across a range of ages and abilities and have experience with a range of additional learning needs as well as preparing ‘gifted’ students for some of the most difficult scholarship exams at Eton and Winchester. I tailor each of my sessions to the unique educational context of each new student and their family and always first focus on confidence and enthusiasm, without those two vital ingredients it’s very hard to make progress.
Please see below the list of schools that I have helped students gain entry into, along with a snapshot of my recent tuition experience:
Eton (Pre-Test & King’s Scholarship), Winchester (Elections), Harrow, Magdalen College School, Oxford (TSA, Personal Statement support), St. Paul’s School – Boys, St. Paul’s Girls’ School, City of London – Boys, City of London School for Girls, Westminster, Alleyn’s, Haberdashers’ & Aske’s Boys, Sevenoaks, Latymer & Godolphin, Colet Court, North London Collegiate, University College School, Brighton College, King’s College School, Wimbledon, Highgate School, Shrewsbury School, Dulwich College, The Harrodian, Wycombe Abbey, Cheltenham ladies’ College, Wellington College, Uppingham, Stowe, Oundle, Haileybury, The Dragon School, Bedford School.
– I Successfully tutored a 17 year old for their IELTS text to gain a place at a top British University. The student struggled with more complex language syntax and we worked through a whole range of sentence creation techniques. Sessions took place both online and in person, over two months.
13+, GCSE, University Applications:
I Tutored two brothers for several years: one from GCSE to University Application, the other for 13+. Both successfully applied to multiple schools and Universities. (Schools: St. Paul’s Boys, Westminster, Winchester, City of London Boys. Universities: Harvard, Princeton, Bristol, Imperial, & Durham.) This was a long term position with regular weekly sessions either in person or online, with periods of intensive work over the holidays both in London and abroad.
13+ Winchester Scholarship:
– I Travelled to India to tutor two boys for the Winchester Elections Scholarship exams, both went on to win scholarships at the school. Much of our work was on exam technique, confidence of expressing your own ideas on paper – which can be hard coming from a very different teaching system, and essay layout.
– I Worked with a thirteen year old boy taking the 13+ for Eton, Harrow, and King’s College School. He won places at all three schools and remains in contact to support him now he is boarding in the UK
Undergraduate English Literature:
– I Supported a finalist at Bath University Studying English Literature with their termly essays, coursework, dissertation, and revision for exams. Much of the work looked at devising a thorough editing process, proofreading, and clarity of written English. The student achieved at II.i, up from a predicted II.ii after illness the previous year.
GCSE Home schooling:
– Home schooling for a GCSE Student. Teaching English Literature, Language, History, R.E., and Biology. The student started the year predicted two Cs, one D and two Es, and with some quite serious health concerns but achieved two As, two Bs, and one C. She went on to successfully rejoin mainstream schooling for sixth form and start University in 2016.
A Level English Literature:
– I Tutored an eighteen year old student for her English Literature A level and English Literature Advanced Extension Award exams. She achieved an A* in her A level and a distinction in her AEA. She then took a gap year and with support has since completed an English degree at Oxford.
IB English SL, Student British International School
– I tutored this student over the course of the entire academic year, with support covering essay structure, analytical reading, note taking styles, and revision techniques, as well as homework help, and essay feedback. We covered Romeo and Juliet, along with comparisons to films and stage versions of the play, as well as a poetry anthology of translated texts. The goal-based writing was key to this students success, keeping sight the purpose of the writing and remembering to use it as a powerful tool to persuade, excite, engage etc.
IB English SL, Student at a Belgian International School
– I worked with this student for 5 months with support mainly consisting with language help due to English being this students 5th language. We worked on increasing fluency in reading, writing and oral presentations, tackling the speed of their use of language from all angles. Some of the more traditional texts covered were particularly tricky given their archaic syntax but we broke everything down to the simplest level before rebuilding in all of the complexity and beauty of the language.
– I have supported two students during their Oxford applications, helping to prepare them for the Thinking Skills Assessment. One student was applying to University College to read Economics and Management, and the other was applying to Brasenose to read PPE.
Hobbies and Interests
I have transferred to law and will become a barrister after starting pupillage with a prestigious barristers chambers in Inner Temple. I am a keen skier and snowboarder having over 50 weeks experience and worked a season as a Ski Guide during my gap year. I have written plays and short stories, and sued to work as an actor. I enjoy travelling and have visited over 40 countries and am very keen to make that 50. I play tennis regularly, horse ride (learning horse archery and swordsmanship) and am currently learning to surf.
Tosca got amazing support from all her tutors. Tadhgh especially. Although he is expensive, I can see why he charges. He is very professional, and also very inventive in his approach – so his tutorials are always interesting.
(Mother of Oxbirdge applicant)
We had the pleasure of Tadhgh as our tutor for our son to support him during GCSE preparation. Tadhgh was punctual, structured, personable and very knowledgeable. Jasper enjoyed his company enormously which meant he looked forward to the 1 to 1 sessions and used the time productively. By the
time the exams took place he was well prepared and performed well, and this was down to the support provided by Tadhgh. I ended up recommending Tadhgh to a number of friends who were equally pleased with his support. I have no reservation in recommending him when it comes to personal tuition.
(Mother of Jasper GCSE Biology, History, English Literature & Language 4 x A*s)
Tadhgh was a total saviour for me when it came to not only completing my A Level English examinations in 2015, but also improving my overall result by a whole grade, a task which was not only statistically demanding but also seemed nearly impossible to me at the time. After a serious setback during the year of my AS exams, with various mental and physical health issues resulting in me obtaining a ‘B’ grade, it was a relief for me when Tadhgh offered his unconditional support and encouragement through not only verbal discussion, but also detailed, constructive criticism regarding my the practice essays. Despite Tadhgh living 13 hours away from me, our communication through Skype video calls, to which he was completely committed, strongly impacted my confidence, clarity of ideas, and fluency of essay writing. I strongly recommend that those in need of a tutor do contact Tadhgh, as both his professionalism and easy going character made my own learning experience an incredibly fulfilling and worthwhile one.
(A Level English Literature Student Grade A)
Tadhgh is a very experienced teacher, which I could tell easily when he first taught me. He made me think outside the box and went into a lot of detail when we were doing exercises. Online lessons are good depending on your teacher. Tadhgh keeps you occupied for the whole lesson so you have no time to go off task on the computer. I was always captivated for the whole lesson. He helped my English improve so I got an A mark in my Common Entrance exam.
(13+ Student Successful application to Harrow)
Tadhgh proved to be an excellent tutor for my child conscientious and always trying hard to engage their interest which he succeeded in doing. He created a well thought out revision schedule and was always on hard after our time with him finished to answer any questions my child had in the run up to their exams. I highly recommend him.
(Father of Jean AS Level English Literature & History A & B)
If only we could have seen Tadhgh more often! Now that Luke is starting at Eton that will hopefully be easier to achieve. It was a pleasure having Tadhgh stay with us – he is the perfect guest and great dinner company, as well as good fun on a day trip! Luke needed help to realise his own strengths and weaknesses and Tadhgh was just the ticket. I have already and will continue to recommend him to my
friends stateside and in Europe.
(Mother of Luke 13+ Successful application to Eton)
Tadhgh`s open personality and sound knowledge was critical in enabling detailed discussions of the A level texts helping my son to develop the analytical and essay writing skills needed. He encouraged my son to push himself to try and achieve the best results and showed him how to organise his work and his ideas within an exam situation. Tadhgh worked hard to ensure that the lessons were always enjoyable and stimulating. I am very happy to recommend Tadhgh as an excellent tutor.
(Mother of Jake A Level English Literature Grade A)
Tadhgh gave me tremendous help in understanding how to write a proper academic essay. He made it very clear to me what my strengths and weaknesses were and how I could improve my work. Speaking regularly to him over Skype and email enabled me to dramatically improve the quality of work, which was reflected in my score. His tutelage is definitely worthwhile.
(English Literature Student at Bath University Graduated with a high II.i)
Naomi has done very well & to my surprise she’s enjoying English. She’s even saying she will take it for A level! She always remembers you by saying “If it weren’t for Tadhgh I wouldn’t have liked English!” You should be very proud. Naomi did very well In all the 11+ exams. She was accepted to St. Paul’s, Henrietta Barnet, and Camden School for Girls. But we got a letter from St Michael’s Grammar to ask if Naomi would like to join them. She came first in their exam. Since meeting the headmaster she has accepted the place. We just want to say thank you for all your support & for believing in her. When sometimes she was messing around, you always told her she could do better & inspired her to do the
work again. It helped a lot. She’s smarter &, more importantly, wiser. We believe you helped her to aim high. She’s already aiming to go to Cambridge or Harvard. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being an inspiration to her. We hope to see you again one day.
(Mother of Naomi 11+ & Common Entrance Successful application to St. Paul’s Girls (Scholarship offer), Camden High School, Latymer & Godolphin (Scholarship offer) & City of London School for Girls (Scholarship offer)
Tadhgh is a very motivated tutor, providing brilliantly motivating lessons. He was able to extend English teaching to apply to the areas of Biology and Chemistry. He provided very helpful advice and practice for interview techniques and confidence regarding communication and presentations. My son now feels very confident presenting projects at University and this has been thanks to Tadhgh. John received constructive criticism and positive ideas for improvement in communication, both written and verbal. He very much enjoyed the tutoring sessions and benefitted tremendously from them. Tadhgh managed to return the confidence to my son that had been reduced due to the bad quality of teaching at his school. I wish there were more teachers like Tadhgh in the school system.
(Mother of John English Language & Communication Skills for Science Baccalaureate Successful application to five Russell Group Universities)
Initially I was looking for a tutor to prepare my son for his 11+ english test. Tadhgh’s profile looked interesting to me so I hired him, and it was a very pleasant surprise. He did not only focus on the vocabulary and past test papers for 11+, he also helped my son choose the best books to read, helped his writing style, and his public speaking. My son made discernible improvement in his writing and public
speaking in school afterwards, as noted by his teachers. What’s more important is that he also gained a huge amount of confidence in both. I am very happy with our experience with Tadhgh. He is a fantastic tutor and I recommend him very strongly.
(Mother of Luc 11+)
Would you like to work with Tadhgh?
Email us today and we'll be happy to discuss your requirements.Contact Us