"Andrew couldn't have got there without your super teaching so thanks again!"
A Level History Tuition
Senior School Entrance
2012-2013: History PGCE: University of York
2010-2011: Masters degree – History – Distinction: King’s College London
2006-2009: BA Hons – Politics and History – 2.1: University of Nottingham
2005: A-Levels – History (A), Politics (A), English (B): Cheltenham College
My specialist subjects are history and politics to degree level. I also teach geography, R.S., English, maths and prepare students for 11+ and 13+ exams. I have been tutoring for over ten years. I am passionate about the subjects I teach and I think this is very important. I am very adaptable in terms of teaching style and strategies having tutored pupils of all abilities.
Please find below a snapshot of my tuition experience.
– English sessions for a current Year 5 pupil who will be applying to schools including Lady Eleanor Holles, City of London Girls, Godolpin and Latymer, Putney High and Wimbledon. She is very academic so we focussed on critical reading, time and interview technique.
– Intense revision sessions covering Geography, RE and History for a pupil sitting the Scholarship paper at Dulwich College. The pupil gained entrance into Dulwich College.
– Intensive 13+ revision sessions (covering English, Maths and Science) for a pupil sitting scholarship papers for St Paul’s, amongst others.
Online weekly sessions for a pupil currently at an international school in China applying to Brighton College and St Pauls. Sessions are focusing on English skills such as writing technique and analytical skills.
IGCSE & GCSE:
– Edexcel – Weekly sessions for a pupil with ASD who is being home schooled. Topics include the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany.
– Cambridge IGCSE – weekly sessions for a pupil who missed part of the course due to health reasons. The topics covered include Nazi Germany and the Cold War.
– Intensive revision sessions for two pupils studying an AS Level paper ( AQA – Britain 1815-1865) with a particular focus on exam technique.
– Weekly sessions for a pupil retaking two A-Level units (OCR British Foreign Policy 1856-1914 and a coursework unit on German unification). The pupil increased his overall grade from a B to A, gaining a place at Liverpool University.
AP – US History:
– Weekly sessions covering 19th and 20th century US History for a pupil preparing for the summer AP exams, for US college application.
– Support for a pupil studying History and Politics at Birkbeck. I provided guidance for essays on conservatism, European federalism and German unification and in the last academic year I gave guidance for their dissertation on World War One veterans. The pupil achieved a 2.1.
IGCSE & GCSE:
– Cambridge IGCSE – Twice weekly sessions for a pupil being homeschooled. Topics included rivers and tourism along with intense focus on exam technique.
– Edexcel GCSE – weekly sessions for a pupil being homeschooled – topics included population.
– Weekly session supporting a pupil taking Geography at IB (HL). Sessions focused on covering course material (for topics such as Oceans and Population and working on exam technique. The pupil achieved a 6.
IB Middle Years Programme – Individuals and Societies
– Weekly tuition for an academic year, covering the different aspects of this broad course. We focused on re-visiting content the student had covered in school to consolidate his learning, and on improving his question technique as this was an area of weakness for him. He made fantastic progress while we were working together and performed well in his school assessments.
– Sessions covering the AS British Politics course for a pupil retaking this unit.
– Revision sessions preparing a pupil for an A2 American Politics examination. The pupil achieved an A grade.
– Revision sessions twice monthly for a 6 month period. Focusing on World religions and ethics.
– Weekly 1 hour sessions for a pupil following the AQA course, focusing on Christianity and religious thought. The pupil gained an A, which was their target grade.
– Weekly sessions with 1 pupil and intensive Easter revision with another pupil. Covering all topics
– Cambridge IGCSE. Fortnightly sessions covering the poetry anthology for the literature section along with essay structure for the language paper.
– Weekly sessions assisting a pupil prepare for an oral presentation on Thomas Hardy’s poems and ‘Down and Out in Paris and London.’ The sessions focussed on presentation structure and key themes and issues form the texts. Sessions also the pupils coursework essay on ‘Chronicle of a Death Foretold’.
– Tutoring the AQA Sociology course to an A Level student. I saw significant improvement in their understanding of the syllabus and answer technique over the course of our tuition.
– General tuition (English, Maths, Humanities, Sciences and French) for a Year 7 pupil with ASD awaiting a school placement.
Oxbridge Entry Support
When I taught at Fulford school in York I ran a sixth form history club (which involved debating various topics and looking as issues such as historiography). This club was aimed at Oxbridge/Russell group applicants. I also conducted mock interviews for potential applicants.
Hobbies and Interests
I am currently tutoring full-time; I’ve recently started learning Russian which is challenging but rewarding. I also enjoy cooking, tennis and reading.
“Clarissa was a great help in preparing George for his 13+ exams. She was always well prepared for sessions and George really benefitted.”
Parent of 13+ student
“Andrew couldn’t have got there without your super teaching so thanks again!”
Parent of A-Level History student