Make an Enquiry

Stonyhurst College

Clitheroe, Lancashire, BB7 9PZ

Stonyhurst College is a co-educational, independent Catholic school which accommodates both day and boarding pupils aged 3-18. Stonyhurst is rich with history, and counts Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the author of the Sherlock Holmes) amongst their alumni. Spanning 1,000 acres...

Phone: 01254826345

Website: www.stonyhurst.ac.uk

Head: John Browne

Registrar Details:

Helen Eastham

Term DatesOpen DaysAdmissions

Stonyhurst College is a co-educational, independent Catholic school which accommodates both day and boarding pupils aged 3-18. Stonyhurst is rich with history, and counts Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the author of the Sherlock Holmes) amongst their alumni. Spanning 1,000 acres of countryside, Stonyhurst College occupies a magnificent Grade I listed building. 

Notable facilities include a fully operational observatory, an indoor golf simulator, and a museum comprising over 35,000 artefacts. Stonyhurst’s campus provides an impressive array of other facilities: a 9-hole golf course, 5 libraries, 7 chapels, 2 theatres, 2 cricket pavilions and an on-site shooting range. In keeping with such an impressive campus, there are approximately 75 extracurricular provisions on offer to Stonyhurst pupils.

There are 11 boarding houses in total, of which the international students span 27 nationalities. 70% of students are boarders, though the remaining 30% are fully integrated into the boarding house communities. There are five boarding houses for boys, and three for girls, which are split ‘horizontally’, pertaining to the pupils’ year groups.

The school was founded in 1593 by the Jesuits, of whom the motto of Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam, meaning ‘For the greater glory of God’, is today still adhered to with the school, and their attention to developing the full potential of each student and all they can be. The School’s own motto is “Quant je puis”, which translates to mean ‘As much as I can’. Faith lies at the core of Stonyhurst College, assisting in their mission of nurturing the students’ individuality and sense of moral responsibility. 

The emphasis on academic excellence alongside spiritual and emotional growth is clearly reflected in life at Stonyhurst. In Sixth Form (Years 12 & 13), students can choose from three routes of study; A levels, the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IBDP) or the Cambridge Technical Diploma in either Business or Sport. Leavers predominantly attend Russell Group Universities, with 5% achieving Oxford and Cambridge. 

Sector: Independent

Type: Nursery, Junior School, Senior School, Sixth Form, Through School

Day/Boarding: Boarding Only

Setting: Countryside

Total Pupils: 753

Ages Covered: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Gender: Co-ed

Religious Ethos: Roman Catholic

Opening Date: 1/1/1593

Sibling Policy: Yes

+ Add To My Schools List

Selection: Academically Selective

Curriculum:

  • International Baccalaureate DP