Classics Private Tutor: Emma
This tutor’s profile is reflective of the high standard of subject-specific private tutor we introduce. When you contact us, we will recommend a shortlist of tutors who will be carefully matched to your child’s learning style and academic requirements.
Emma is a great tutor. She is a truly exceptional Classicist and she uses her knowledge to bring Latin and Classical Greek alive for her students, as well as improving their grades.
I am an enthusiastic teacher with a love of learning and excellent communication skills, and very much enjoy helping students of all ages to get to grips with a subject and make real progress. I have been tutoring for Simply Learning Tuition since 2011, and have a wide range of experience in school and university teaching with children aged 8-24.
I am experienced in interview preparation, as well as in the Oxford and Warwick admissions processes. I am familiar with the ingredients which make for an excellent application and performance on the day for any academic entrance competition.
My teaching philosophy is to engage on a personal level with each student, in order to best understand their needs, interests, and learning methods. I try to design my lessons in a way which will appeal to their individual character and spark their intellectual interest.
2014 Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction), City University
2012 DPhil, Classics, University College, Oxford
2007 MSt, Classics (Distinction), Corpus Christi College, Oxford
2006 BA (Hons), Classics (First Class), St John’s College, Oxford
I am currently turning my doctoral thesis (“Plato and Lucretius as Philosophical Literature”) into a monograph to be published with Oxford University Press.
2011-present Senior Tutor for Simply Learning Tuition and other London agencies
• Tutorials in Latin, Classical Civilisation, Law, English Literature and Philosophy.
• Students at Pre-U, A-level, I.B., GCSE, scholarship and Common Entrance level.
• Lessons given face-to-face, residentially in the UK and abroad, and via Skype.
2012-13 Latin Teaching Fellow, University of Warwick
• Provided lectures, seminars, and language classes in Latin and Greek literature.
• Supervised dissertations in Latin and Greek topics.
2012 English Teacher, Tsinghua University, Beijing
• Designed and led seminars and activities for 70 Chinese undergraduates on a summer camp.
2011-12 Classics Tutor, Magdalen College School Easter Revision Course
• Revision tutorials to sixth-form students in Greek, Latin and Classical Civilisation A-levels.
2008-12 Classics Tutor, Oxford University
• Taught over 90 tutorials to undergraduates for five colleges and the Classics Faculty.
2008 Classical Civilisation Tutor, Oxbridge Academic Programs
• Prepared and taught lessons and organised trips for international students aged 15-17.
• Pastoral supervision of a staircase of ten girls.
2007-8 Classics Fellow, Marlboro College, Vermont, USA
• Responsible for all Classics teaching, examining and syllabi for undergraduates aged 18-24.
2008 English Teacher, ACLE (summer camp charity), Italy
• English lessons and activities to Italian school-children aged 8-13.
• Worked for 4 months on applications and interview preparation with an IB student applying to Cambridge for Classics. She succeeded in gaining a place at Robinson College.
• Worked for 6 months in Latin and Greek with a student in the Russian school system applying for Sixth-Form entry at Winchester. He succeeded in gaining the only scholarship available at sixth-form level.
Hobbies and Interests
I enjoy reading, writing, travelling, learning languages, ice skating, and playing chamber music. I have also worked as a volunteer in the City University Schools Exclusion Project, where I successfully fought a student’s case to enable him to be reinstated at his school following expulsion.