I am an enthusiastic teacher with a love of learning and excellent communication skills, and very much enjoy helping students of all ages to get to grips with a subject and make real progress. I have been tutoring for Simply Learning Tuition since 2011, and have a wide range of experience in school and university teaching with children aged 8-24.
I am experienced in interview preparation, as well as in the Oxford and Warwick admissions processes. I am familiar with the ingredients which make for an excellent application and performance on the day for any academic entrance competition.
My teaching philosophy is to engage on a personal level with each student, in order to best understand their needs, interests, and learning methods. I try to design my lessons in a way which will appeal to their individual character and spark their intellectual interest.
2014 Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction), City University
2012 DPhil, Classics, University College, Oxford
2007 MSt, Classics (Distinction), Corpus Christi College, Oxford
2006 BA (Hons), Classics (First Class), St John’s College, Oxford
I am currently turning my doctoral thesis (“Plato and Lucretius as Philosophical Literature”) into a monograph to be published with Oxford University Press.
*** I am an approved SLT Senior Tutor. Please note my Senior Tutor rate. ***
2011-present Senior Tutor for Simply Learning Tuition and other London agencies
• Tutorials in Latin, Classical Civilisation, Law, English Literature and Philosophy.
• Students at Pre-U, A-level, I.B., GCSE, scholarship and Common Entrance level.
• Lessons given face-to-face, residentially in the UK and abroad, and via Skype.
2012-13 Latin Teaching Fellow, University of Warwick
• Provided lectures, seminars, and language classes in Latin and Greek literature.
• Supervised dissertations in Latin and Greek topics.
2012 English Teacher, Tsinghua University, Beijing
• Designed and led seminars and activities for 70 Chinese undergraduates on a summer camp.
2011-12 Classics Tutor, Magdalen College School Easter Revision Course
• Revision tutorials to sixth-form students in Greek, Latin and Classical Civilisation A-levels.
2008-12 Classics Tutor, Oxford University
• Taught over 90 tutorials to undergraduates for five colleges and the Classics Faculty.
2008 Classical Civilisation Tutor, Oxbridge Academic Programs
• Prepared and taught lessons and organised trips for international students aged 15-17.
• Pastoral supervision of a staircase of ten girls.
2007-8 Classics Fellow, Marlboro College, Vermont, USA
• Responsible for all Classics teaching, examining and syllabi for undergraduates aged 18-24.
2008 English Teacher, ACLE (summer camp charity), Italy
• English lessons and activities to Italian school-children aged 8-13.
• Worked for 4 months on applications and interview preparation with an IB student applying to Cambridge for Classics. She succeeded in gaining a place at Robinson College.
• Worked for 6 months in Latin and Greek with a student in the Russian school system applying for Sixth-Form entry at Winchester. He succeeded in gaining the only scholarship available at sixth-form level.
I enjoy reading, writing, travelling, learning languages, ice skating, and playing chamber music. I have also worked as a volunteer in the City University Schools Exclusion Project, where I successfully fought a student’s case to enable him to be reinstated at his school following expulsion.
– “Emma is one of my best tutors. She has a powerful intellect and is able to work effectively with students of all ages. She is particularly skilled at the art of questioning and always gets the best out of the students. She is also reliable, consistent and very personable.”
– “[My daughter] particularly commented that her Latin Teacher was exceptionally good and thought her to have excellent teaching skills which she appreciated.”
– “A quick note to let you know that [my son] succeeded in getting an A* in Latin [GCSE] – thanks in large measure to your advice and instruction. Many thanks for all your help.”
– “Many thanks indeed for acting as [my student]’s supervisor for his project. It is very good of you to have given your time in helping him, and I know that he has been very appreciative of your guidance. The current version of his [advanced sixth-form] project gained a mark of 83%.”
– “Emma – thank you very much. [My son] feels inspired and ready to work.”
– “Thank you for all your help on my research essay, I greatly appreciate the feedback you gave me, and it was a pleasure working with you.”
– “You have been great this week!”